Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Crowbar's Roly Greenway Passes


It is with sadness that we announce the passing of Crowbar bassist/vocalist Roly Greenway (from Guelph) who died on December 22, 2020 after a brave battle with cancer. Out condolences to his family, friends and fans.

Roly was an integral part of the legendary Hamilton group Crowbar. He is even in the Canadian Songwriter Hall of Fame for his work on the band's massive hit, Oh What a Feeling.

WE WILL BE POSTING MORE NEWS LINKS AND SOCIAL MEDIA COMMENTS AS WE FIND MORE.

Media Links
From Lou, our blogger:
I had the privilege of meeting Roly on a number of occasions and he was friendly as well as talented. I'll miss him greatly.

Social Media Reaction

Sonny Bernardi (Crowbar)

Yes indeed, Roly was one of a kind. I first met and saw Roly performing with the Ascots at the Concord Tavern ( presently the home of Toronto's largest Long and McQuade outlet) I was 13 or 14 working for my parents in the cloakroom, hanging up customers coats and glued to the band every moment I could.

Roly and Rheal were together back then and what a performer Roly was.  I recall during our recent "Storm the Munk" visit where we converged on him at his home in Guelph and took him from a painful afternoon to a barrage of laughs, jokes and great memories that we had all shared over the years together. We knew he was declining and was awaiting placement in one of two local hospice locations, so along with some now legal influences and some toasting with some well aged double malt scotch, we proceeded to redirect his pains and finished with an early birthday celebration because we were unsure as to what visiting restrictions might be in place at the hospice, so we gave Roly a well deserved send off.

He bravely fought a long battle and chose to face up to the obvious results of declining any further treatments. We are so glad we made the visit and we know he felt the love.

Thankfully the suffering has now stopped for him.

Duane Rutter

Roly came to see Mo Kauffey and I at one of  our many shows at the Wooly in Guelph several years back. We had met a few times, but he still kinda freaked me out because he was like royalty to me. When on our break, Roly treated me like an old friend and gave me some extremely kind words (which I will not share) that meant so much to me. 

My deepest condolences to his dear ones.

Dianne Fontaine (ex-Trailblazers)

I had the pleasure of working with Roly years ago. He was a brilliant writer, player and always had a fresh idea.  You are loved and will be missed. 

Video above courtesy of  Stephen Shelton

Video above courtesy of ThirstyThursdayShow

Links: More Guess Who Covers/Stories, Video above courtesy of Manxcatstales

Links: CrowbarMore Crowbar StoriesVideo above courtesy of Anita Levesque


Previous (Winter Videos) - - - Next (Christmas Videos)

1 comment:

  1. I had the extreme pleasure of playing with Roly in a short lived band called Next. He also co wrote a great song called Fancy Nancy which I recorded on Hellfields debut album. A true pro. A true friend. RIP.

    ReplyDelete