Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pongetti's Music Founder Roy Pongetti Passes

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pongetti-Musical-Instruments/105073659613617

It is with sadness that we announce the passing of Rolando (Roy) Pongetti, the founding owner of Hamilton's legendary Pongetti Music store.  He passed away on January 9, 2014.  Our condolences to his family and friends. Donations to the Alzheimer Society or St. Anthony's Church are encouraged.


There has been much reaction online:

Paul Panchezak (Trickbag): "I've known the Pongetti family since the late 60's when they still lived above their little store on Barton just east of Sanford down by the old Forum. I'm still playing the hi hat cymbals I bought there as a kid. Mr Pongetti was always a friendly, sincere man. God bless him."

Stephen Foster (Crawlin' Kingsnakes): "Sad to hear this. Used to go to the original store lots when I first started playing guitar. After they moved down the street I worked for Mr Pongetti in the 80's teaching guitar lessons. It was a great job and Mr Pongetti was very generous. R.I.P. Mr Pongetti your impact on Hamilton Music lives on."

Jim Witter: "I too remember going to Pongetti's in the east end of Hamilton. The whole family and staff always treated me with respect, even though I was a kid. That same respect continued through the years, and I am proud to say I shopped there until Pongetti's closed their doors for good last year. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Pongetti family at this time. Great memories live on forever."

Previous (Jack de Keyzer on New Harmonica Shah CD) - - - Next (New Azalea EP)

No comments:

Post a Comment