Sunday, March 22, 2020

Local Music Scene Reacts to Kenny Rogers' Passing


Sadly, American Country Music Legend Kenny Rogers passed away on March 20, 2020. Our condolences to his family, friends and fans.

Local Media
A number of local artists posted covers of some of his incredible songs in honour of the unforgettable musician.



Links: Chopped Liver, Video above courtesy of Chopped Liver Bluegrass Band



Links: WhitehorseMore Whitehorse StoriesVideo above courtesy of Melissa McClelland

Tim Hicks did a Kenny cover a few years ago



Links: Tim HicksMore Tim Hicks StoriesVideo above courtesy of Tim Hicks

Here are some local social media reactions. We will add more as we find it.

Heather Sinclair (H&G Entertainer Services)
One of the best storyteller singers there was...and so many of us got pulled into his stories. The last hand is folded.
Brad Hails (Killin' Time Band)
I still remember the day My Dad brought home two cassette tapes (Ktel) Kenny Rogers greatest hits and Elton John's greatest hits. I was maybe 6 or 7 years old and I played them till they didn’t work anymore. Kenny Rogers was my favourite back then and I still know every word on that tape off by heart. It has come in handy many times when an audience drunkenly chants until we give in and play the Gambler but so many great classic 70s country songs. Thank you to my Dad Alan Hails for bringing those tapes into my Life and thanks to Kenny Rogers for singing some great slick country stories that were music to a 6 year olds ears! RIP Kenny, you sure made some good chicken. I will be spinning and picking some Classic KG today!
James Anthony
Back in around 1970 Dan Munro and I played a gig in The West End of Toronto. A girl asked us to go to a house party in Misissauga after . We of course went and found ourselves upstairs in the living room hanging with another new band called the "First Edition" Another young singer Mac Davis and I pulled out our guitars and jammed for while on the porch and we all got really high lol. I actually showed Mac a few blues licks Great memory and nice people. Kenny was a really great guy.RIP... 

Previous (Spring Videos) - - - Next (Sean Cunnington Passes)

No comments:

Post a Comment