Thursday, June 18, 2020

Hamilton Photographer Ivan Sorensen Passes


It is with sadness that we announce the passing of Hamilton photographer Ivan Sorensen. He was a mainstay of the Hammer's vibrant music scene. We do not have many details yet but will post them here. Our condolences to his family, friends and fans.

A word from Lou, our blogger:
I met Ivan many times going to the same event. We became friends and he always had a smile on his face and loved his work. He had great enthusiasm when he saw great live local music. I'll miss him terribly.
The was a huge outpouring of grief on social media. Here's a sampling:

Terra Lightfoot
To my friend Ivan: I'll miss you so! Your kind smile, the way you yelled "HEY YOU, GET OVER HERE!" at Supercrawl before we even knew each other.... so you could show me some photos you had taken of the band....we got on so easily from there on out....You were a truly talented man and I'm better for knowing you. Thanks for capturing me at my best so many times. Sending love to your family.
Michael Hickey
I am sad to hear of the passing of Ivan Sorensen....good guy and a great photographer. Most of us performing musicians here have been captured by his lens....always in a unique way....never one to draw attention to himself he focused on us...I'm sad we lost him and his talent....I'll miss seeing him "snapping off a few" at shows.... Rest in Peace Ivan...and thank you....
Kristen Archer (I Heart Hamilton)
You will be missed, Ivan Sorensen ❤ I am so sorry for the loss of a Hamilton creative who captured our music scene so beautifully. Ivan was a staple in festival stage pits and at concerts, and I got to know him better while working with Supercrawl in 2018. Ivan's long hours spent on the ground and in the pit always impressed me and he had such a special eye.
It means a lot to have a photo through Ivan's eyes. Live music shots of Ivan's are some of my favourites. My heart goes out to Ivan's family and friends, and I thank him for his wonderful art and his kindness.
Below  is a sampling of his incredible work.





Previous (Polaris Long List) - - - Next (Summer Videos)

No comments:

Post a Comment