Saturday, December 31, 2016

Remembering Legendary Entertainer Gordie Tapp


While the blog was on holiday break, we lost legendary Canadian entertainer Gordie Tapp. The Burlington resident passed on December 18, 2016. Our condolences to his family, friends and fans.

Gordie worked in radio in Guelph and Hamilton during the 1950's and then went on to host Country Hoedown, a variety show on CBC . In 1969, he earned international stardom through the popular U.S. variety show, Hee Haw, where he sang and joked his way into the hearts of millions. He was a member of the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame (inducted 1990) and was awarded the Order of Canada in 1998.

Click here for the Hamilton Spectator Story on his passing.

Click here for the Burlington Post story.

There was an outpouring of memories on social media.

Michael Picard (CTV)
He was such a dear friend, he was always very supportive of me, when I was 16 yrs old he got me my first big paying job as a Magician and even gave me his home number if I ever needed to get in touch.
Gordie was like a show business mentor to me and always had helpful advice. I have known him for the last ten years and his stories and jokes never ceased to make me laugh while realizing what it truly means to entertain people. Gordie was one of the very few people to call me Timmy; it was always endearing. He will be deeply missed but his legacy will live on. My condolences to Helen and the whole family.
We also requested that people send their wonderful memories of Gordie.

Kevin Barber (Barber Shop Podcast)
I was working at Hill's Video Production in Burlington in the 80's as a format converter and one day Gordie walked by as he was in studio working on a voice over - seeing him, and without thinking, I grabbed a VHS full sized camcorder and had a co-worker record Gordie and I do the whole "Where o where are you tonight" bit - I'm sure he'd know what I was after even before I asked and he graciously did it and even let me spittle in his general direction. I wrapped that tape up and mailed it to my semi-estranged parents in British Columbia to show that I had indeed "made it". They loved it and talked about it for years.
Penny Susan Berkeley
I remember seeing him on the stage with Minnie Pearl at the Saturday morning show at the Capital Theatre in Brantford. They would entertain at half time for a room full of kids. Elmer the Safety Elephant would teach safety and they would make us laugh and sing. Such wonderful memories.







Videos above courtesy of Niblock Country

Previous (Brian Cober Passes) - - - Next (2016: Year in Review)

No comments:

Post a Comment