Sunday, October 8, 2017

CONGRATS! Guelph's Dan McKinnon Wins 2017 Amy Louie Grossmans Music Scholarship


We are happy to announce that former Guelphite, Dan McKinnon has won this year's Amy Louie Grossmans Music Scholarship!

From the Bluestime Productions press release:
Toronto blues guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Dan McKinnon received the $ 2,000 ALGMS bursary at the 6th annual fundraiser on Tuesday, September 26, 2017. His winning proposal outlined plans to support a new recording that will be released in 2018. The presentation was made by Grossman's owner Christina Louie and 2016 ALGMS recipient Raha Javinfar (Bad Luck Woman and Her Misfortunes). McKinnon also won The Toronto Blues Society’s Talent Search in June. 
Dan had this to say on his Facebook page
I would like to take the time to thank Grossman's Tavern and the Louie Family for awarding me with this year's Amy Louie Grossmans Music Scholarship.
Back in 2008, I got my start playing blues by attending their legendary Sunday Night Jam, hosted by the great Brian Cober. While I was greener than a blade of grass at the time, both Brian and Bill Hedefine were more than generous when it came to giving me opportunities to play. Even if there were moments in those early years when I sounded like a "pet store on fire", they both always encouraged me to keep going and to keep working hard. I'm glad I chose to listen.

The scholarship funds will go towards the making of my next record, which will be released in the spring of 2018. 
A special thank you goes to all of the musicians who performed at last night's fundraiser, as well as to Bad Luck Woman and Her Misfortunes for hosting the event.



Video above courtesy of Twentyfive Musical





2 videos above courtesy of randallstaffordcook

Blast from the Past: Dan Wins 2017 Toronto Blues Society Talent Search

Links: Dan McKinnonMore Dan McKinnon Stories

Previous (Mighty Duck Blues Band Debut Album) - - - Next (Thanksgiving Videos w Julian, Taylor, Johnny Cash & More)

No comments:

Post a Comment