Monday, May 3, 2021

Phil Naro, Rock Superstar Who Was Part of Hamilton's Sarasin, Passes


It is with sadness that we announce the passing of rock superstar Phil Naro. He died on May 3, 2021 after a brave battle with cancer.

Phil was an international rock star. Born in New York, he played in the band Talas with legendary bassist Billy Sheehan (Mr. Big, David Lee Roth) and sang on KISS drummer Peter Criss' solo album Cat #1. He moved to Toronto and played as a solo performer as well as numerous bands such as DDrive, Zeppelin tribute Ozone Baby, and Hamilton's Sarasin (he recorded the album, The Last Word with them).

A message from Lou, our blogger.
"I've been a fan of Phil's ever since I got a cassette of the band Talas out of the library. I noticed how much better the second side was and realized that was because Phil was the singer on those tracks. I've followed his career ever since and was happy when I found out he was now Canadian and hanging out next door in T.O. I managed to catch him live as a member of Sarasin during their CD release. He was absolutely incredible."

Media Stories 

Social media reaction 

Billy Sheehan 

Phil Naro. One of the finest human beings I have ever known. I’m deeply saddened to report his passing. He fought a valiant battle till the end, and inspired all who knew him to stay positive and keep going against all odds. 

God bless you, Phil. Rest in peace dear friend.

Neal Burstyn

Phil Naro (as most of you know) was not only one of the most incredible vocalists but also one of the sweetest and most gentle people I have ever met. 

My most sincere condolences go out to his family and friends, and I'm honoured to have been a friend of his. 

David Barrett

Phil wouldn’t get through a set in a pub without calling me up to play Yes or McCartney, who else can sing those songs in full voice? We had some great times with Druckfarben, but the  highlight and my fondest memory of Phil was playing Detroit Rock City at the Phoenix in full Kiss make up and Dressed To Kill suits, he’d do his best Paul Stanley impersonation...”Listen....!”  and we’d crack up and he’d do it again! I’d always tell him he was my favourite singer and Phil would reply with some gracious comment. My condolences to his many band members and musical collaborators, friends and family. 





Links: Phil Naro, More Phil Naro Stories, Videos above courtesy of Phil Naro - Topic

Previous (World Laughter Day Videos) - - - Next (Independent Blues Award Nominations)

1 comment:

  1. So sad. Phil was a great regular performer with John in Port credit. Condolences to his family

    ReplyDelete