Friday, June 17, 2022

Big Rude Jake Had a Heart of Gold and a Sharp Wit - R.I.P.


It is with sadness that we announce the passing of Jake Hiebert aka Big Rude Juke. He unfortunatey passed away on June 16, 2022 after a brave battle with cancer. Our condolences to his family, friends and fans.

Jake had an amazing, long career which took him around the world, melding the styles of jazz, rock, punk and blues. He was a true original.

A word from Lou, our blogger:
I was lucky enough to see Jake quite a number of times and he was constantly full of life and had a smile on his face. You could see Jake loved what he did and was go great it. His lyrics were sharp and witty and his guitar skills were always world-class. I will miss him terribly. 
Social Media Reaction

He was very kind to me and invited me into his home when he first moved to Hamilton.  I was very lucky and honored to play with such an amazing talent.  He was in a league of players of their own.  My heart goes out to the family and the family of musicians and fans he affected.   Rest well my friend.

Ginger St. James

Dear Big Rude Jake: I'd say I have no words but there are plenty. Until I can muster a sentence up without crying i can peep out that I love you, respect you and will always remember you. Maybe that'll do for now. Every lightning strike and thunder crash I'll know that its you and your pals gettin' the band warmed up in heaven - taunting us earthly folks of the party that awaits. I'll be on my best behavior (mostly) so I can meet you up there one day .  the good Lord raised His hand and has taken you home. We can find comfort in knowing you are at rest. Ladies and Gentleman Big Rude Jake. Whatta guy! 

Raoul Bhaneja

Jake dreamed big and rode a wave that inspired many of us who loved swing, jump, early jazz and blues to make Toronto a home for our music. 

JakeFest in his honour last week was filled with love for the man and his tunes that uplifted us all. 

One of the best nights of music I’ve experienced in Toronto. A fitting evening to honour an important member of our musical family.  

Richard Underhill (Shuffle Demons)

A loving farewell to Big Rude Jake Hiebert, an erudite and dapper man with a heart of gold and a wit sharper than a Bowery barber's razor. Thank for the impossibly witty lyrics, the soulful singing and the meaningful music that touched everyone in the bar and let them dream that they too were living the bohemian life of a crooning troubadour. I'm so lucky to have played and chatted, noshed and laughed with such a beautiful man. Sincere and deep condolences to his family, friends, colleagues and fans. We've lost a great one and somehow we'll have to soldier on without him. He'd want you to Live Large and follow your dreams. And damn the barricades!   

Video above courtesy of Big Rude Jake

Video above courtesy of Big Rude Jake

Links: Big Rude JakeMore Big Rude Jake StoriesVideo above courtesy of Big Rude Jake


Previous (50th Anniversary of Ziggy Stardust) - - - Next (Father's Day Videos)

No comments:

Post a Comment