Thursday, August 10, 2023

Remembering Superstar Robbie Robertson


The music world is reeling after the loss of superstar Robbie Robertson who passed away on August 9, 2023. Our condolences to his family, friends and fans.

Robbie was best known as the guitarist and main songwriter with The Band. He also worked with Ronnie Hawkins, Bob Dylan, Martin Scorcese, local guitarist Bill Dillon and many others. Originally from Six Nations and Brantford, Robbie gained worldwide fame through The Band and his incredible solo work. 

Robbie's family released this statement:

Robbie was surrounded by his family at the time of his death, including his wife, Janet, his ex-wife, Dominique, her partner Nicholas, and his children Alexandra, Sebastian, Delphine, and Delphine’s partner Kenny. He is also survived by his grandchildren Angelica, Donovan, Dominic, Gabriel, and Seraphina. Robertson recently completed his fourteenth film music project with frequent collaborator Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon. In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that donations be made to the Six Nations of the Grand River to support a new Woodland Cultural Centre

Media

Social Media Reaction

Bill Dillon (Hamilton guitarist who recorded and performed with Robbie)

It's not that I'm at a loss for words 

That would be ridiculous, but I have to find some or even one word.

I was born in Toronto in the early 50s and into the 60s so there's the awareness of his guitar playing, it's not about that.

Leaving the Hawk for Bob Dylan, it's not about that 

The emerging Band and each of their unbelievable albums, it's not about that.

All the records and TV shows and huge concerts in Europe we did together, the movie soundtracks, the Native records, it's not about that. 

I'm crawling out of an abyss I've never had to before with so much difficulty. 

Soo many friends gone and artists gone it's been rough enough to say the least.

Dan Lanois gave me the opportunity to experience something I'd only dreamed of all through my formative years, Dan is my friend and I love him dearly.

Robbie Robertson gave me the opportunity to realize my dreams, he's my friend and I love him dearly 

So what is it that's so difficult to comprehend for me?

Through the shock and emotional collapse of this loss, while trying to come to grips with the reality, it took my best friend Barb to say the magic words "he trusted you".

That's what this is about, Trust.

These friendships were forged on trust, through every endeavor and every challenge together every success there was that one magic word, trust.

To look into each others eyes and know without saying anything at all, friendship and trust spoke volumes enough to proceed with anything at hand and it Had to come from the heart, That is friendship, that is trust.

No amount of money or success can buy this 

No amount of gratitude can convey this 

No amount of memories can replace this 

That's what I will miss about Robbie: looking him in the eyes and experiencing his trust,in me.

It's humbling, it's devastating, and I find it difficult to trust anybody who doesn't know those two words in their heart.

Gary Kendall (Downchild)

Robbie Robertson:  It's difficult to accept the passing of members of a generation that changed music and in some ways the world along with it.  I first heard his name as a teenage musician in Fort William Ontario when I was starting my journey into the world of blues and R&B.  It was 1966.  No social media then, all word of mouth.  Guitar players I would meet spoke of Toronto heroes Domenic Troiano, Robbie Robertson and others in the terms of legend.  The word was out, Robbie was the best, a master of the Telecaster.  He`d been with Ronnie Hawkins, Bob Dylan and story was that he and the Hawks were hiding out somewhere in the U.S. preparing to break out with their own music.  And then Music From Big Pink and all the great records that followed.

Personally I was wrapped up in schooling myself, learning my craft in the blues, a landscape I knew The Band had already passed through.  My record collection, Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters and The Band. I`ve always been a fan, the 2nd album, The Band (the brown one) was a wedding present in 1969 and I was fortunate to see three live Band shows before the original lineup wrapped up in 1976.  We`re all very fortunate to have lived during an era when Robbie Robertson created music.  He gave us a lot to be thankful for.

Bob Bryden

We all have different and sometimes very unique points of entry or connection with artists. With Robbie Robertson of course I was around when he was playing with Dylan. I bought  ‘Big Pink’ the year it was released. I followed The Band’s career arc - as well as much of Robertson’s solo work. But my most felt connection with him was when he collaborated with another one of my most deeply admired musicians, film composer Alex North. North composed the scores for the groundbreaking  ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’, plus ‘Spartacus’, Liz Taylor's ‘Cleopatra’,  ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’ and the immortal ‘’Unchained Melody’ among many others. Robbie Robertson and Alex North worked together on the music for 1980’s ‘Carny’. 

Wayne DeAdder

My Robbie Robertson story:

I used to go with my friend John to the Horseshoe Tavern almost every year to see Colin Linden.  He would always bring Rick Danko and Garth Hudson as his guests.

One year the Band was being inducted into the Juno Hall of Fame so Colin did one of his annual shows with Rick and Garth. 

John and I were at the front as close as we could get to the stage as usual.  I think I was about 18 or 19. 

Rumors had been going around that Robbie was going to play. Suddenly, out he stepped onto the Horseshoe stage. Robbie Robertson. With Rick Danko and Garth Hudson. Right in front of my eyes. 

I grabbed the 35 mm camera that I snuck in and snapped a couple of quick photos.  I’m going to find the negatives one of these days.  They did two songs together and it was glorious. 

Earlier in the night, Ronnie Hawkins had come out and sang a few songs with them as well.  

“Just like the old days in Port Dover, eh Ricky?” I overheard Ronnie say to Rick Danko. 

For this teenager, it was a life-changing evening.

Video above courtesy of Robbie Robertson

Video above courtesy of Robbie Robertson

Links: Robbie RobertsonMore Robbie Robertson StoriesVideo above courtesy of Robbie Robertson


Previous (Cat Day Videos) - - - Next (Lynyrd Skynyrd Debut: 50th Anniversary + Covers)

No comments:

Post a Comment