Saturday, September 21, 2024

Bassist Al Duffy was Humble, Gracious and Talented (RIP)


It is with sadness that we announce the passing of Toronto bassist Alan "Al" Duffy who recently passed away after a brave fight with cancer. We don't know many details but will post information here once we learn it. Our condolences to his family, friends and fans

Al played with many artists including local acts such as the Brant Parker Band, Pappy Johns Blues Band and Jack de Keyzer.

A word from Lou, our blogger:
I had the pleasure of getting to know Al while seeing him with many bands. He was always funny and friendly and was incredibly talented. I'll miss him

Social Media Reaction

Miles Evans-Branagh (Miles from NowherePappy Johns Blues Band)

Alan Duffy & I carpooled to most gigs with Josh & The Pappy Johns Band. We talked about pretty much every subject there was to talk about. Drove through snow storms overnight, used his TomTom GPS (as he managed to never covert to the cell phone), nearly ran out of gas more times than I can count. He even pulled over in a traffic jam when I was hungover to let me throw up, (non-judgementally). He was a brother, despite us being nearly 45 years apart in age. 

He was humble, gracious, and always made you feel better about what you were doing, both musically and personally. The absolute definition of a musician who plays to serve the music.

I got to see him a couple times at home over the last while and I have to thank his wife Charlotte for being so kind to me while visiting. Al was as passionate as ever when I visited. Visibly weak, but we talked for hours about music, gear, recording and life. We listened together to a mix he did of a Josh show with the Bay City Blues Band. I hope that recording eventually comes out. The last gig we ever played together, he played all 3 sets until his legs gave out in the encore. All in, all the time. "How's it goin', baby??"

An eccentric, hilarious, & real person to the very end. 

Thanks for all you gave us, Al. 

You will be missed.

Jack de Keyzer

Al Duffy was an integral part of the JdK band for over 20 years. We travelled from Paris to Calgary, Montego Bay to Alert and many points in between. 

A great friend and terrific musician with a wonderful sense of humour, Al brought a lot of joy to a lot of people. He will be greatly missed. Rest In Peace Alan Duffy.

Brant Parker

R.I.P. to my bandmate of 12 years and one of my very best friends Al Duffy . My deepest condolences to Charlotte, Austin and Sam, and all of Al's family, friends and fans .

Joshua Arden Miller (Pappy Johns Blues Band)

Al Duffy could've played bass for whoever he wanted but he chose to make music with us for the last leg of his world tour and I'm forever grateful.  RIP Al.  Love you. 

Links: Brad KraussMore Brad Krauss Stories, Sean O'GradyMore Sean O'Grady StoriesMore Al Duffy StoriesVideo above courtesy of Canal Bank Shuffle


Previous (Jeremy Dutcher Wins Polaris Prize) - - - Next (Fall Videos)

No comments:

Post a Comment