Monday, August 10, 2020

Canada's 'First Lady of the Blues' Salome Bey Passes


It is with sadness that we report on the passing of Canadian Blues/Jazz/Soul legend Salome Bey, know as 'Canada's first lady of the Blues' who died on Saturday, August 8, 2020.

Bey was born in Newark, New Jersey but moved to Toronto in 1964. She's appeared on TV/radio, performed in musicals, was nominated for a Grammy and received a Martin Luther King Jr. Award.

Media Links:

Here are a few local social media reactions:

This is a bit heartbreaking - in a previous life as an entertainment PR person, I got to work with Salome Bey a number of times in the 80s and 90s. A very real talent, but more than that, a very warm person and a great positive influence for so many, including me. There won't be another like her.
Eric Alper
Canada’s first lady of blues, Salome Bey, has died. She was honoured with a Toronto Arts Award and an honourary Member of the Order of Canada.
She mixed between sorrowful & uplifting euphoria with forthright vocals always on top form, and one the nicest, kindest people in music. 
Jace Martin
It is so sad to hear of the passing of my greatest mentor in music, Salome Bey...I was 11 years old the first day I met her, I was so nervous at my audition for "Rainboworld" among 40 of Toronto's finest young singers, actors, dancers and musicians that included Grammy Winner, Deborah Cox. I sang my favourite song, "Amazing Grace" but I didn't do it well cause I was so shy...I was about to leave and she stopped me, and told me to come over to her. She asked me to just take a breath. Everything was calm and I sang again, this time I nailed it! Then she told me I got the part and that I had something special to share with the world
She then mentored me for 4 summers and beyond while I lived with her and her family in Toronto during rehearsals and performances of "Rainboworld". That light has been in my heart since then and so has my passion for music...I last seen Salome when I performed at her benefit at LuLu's Lounge a few years back and I hugged her and told her I loved her! She is reunited in heaven with her husband & the coolest guy I ever met, Howard! I am currently recording my new album "Rainboworld" dedicated to her and am so sad, she won't get to hear it! But I hope God pulls back the clouds while I record the song I wrote for her called, "Rainboworld"! Rainboworld to me meant everyone is loved...we are all special...we are all created equal...she helped me realize that at a young age and I thank you Salome! I love you and your family with all my heart! 
Micah Barnes
Salome. The mother of us all! A voice truly blessed from heaven. Who came to inspire us. Travel easy Momma Bey. xo just one of your many children... 

Here are a few videos from the lady herself.







Links: Salome Bey, Videos above courtesy of Salome Bey - Topic

Previous (Jimmy Witherspoon's 100th Birthday) - - - Next (Percy Mayfied's 100th Birthday)

No comments:

Post a Comment