Monday, April 5, 2021

Big Walter Horton's 100th Birthday

Today (April 6, 2021) would have been American Blues legend Big Walter Horton's (aka Mumbles and Shakey) 100th birthday.

Biography highlights (from Wikipedia)

Comments from local musicians

Sam De Rosa aka Sweet Sammy D

I have been stealing his licks since day one. Big Walter was the author of signature licks we all tried to emulate and still are.

Lester Smith

Big Walter had monster tone and power.  His solo in Jimmy Rogers Walking by Myself is one of the most iconic and skillful in blues history.  

Corey Lueck (Smoke Wagon Blues Band

To this day, Shakey is one of those essential harp players that well; make your head shake! And your feet stomp! It blows my mind how comfortable and big his sound always was in both first or second position. Not hard not to understand why Willie Dixon always said he was the best harp player ever.

Michael Reed aka Shrimp Daddy

Big Walter “Shakey” Horton... he hated that moniker... Big Walter was the proof that gear like Mics and Amps are not what create great tone.  When asked how he gets his sound Walter said “I get my tone from my hands.  A true master of the Harmonica Big Walter had the biggest tone and was an amazing player .

Jay Kipps

Big Walter / Shakey, could channel the sound of a full horn section thru his harmonica. First time I heard him I remember I threw my hands in the air and cheered like I scored a goal, he opened my mind to what you can do with this great little instrument. What a gift to us all he was.

Video above courtesy of MyMoppet52

Video above courtesy of Iago Israel

Video above courtesy of Walter Horton - Topic

Links: Big Walter HortonMore 100th Birthdays


Previous  (Easter Videos) - - - Next (Banjo Day Videos)

No comments:

Post a Comment