Tuesday, April 20, 2021

The Multi-Talented Bob Lanois Passes

It is with sadness that we announce the passing of local producer, sound engineer, songwriter and musician Bob Lanois. He passed away on April 19, 2021. Our condolences to his family, friends and fans.

Bob was well known in the music community as he worked with many artists including his brother Daniel Lanois, Raffi, Blackie and Rodeo KingsTom Wilson, Simply Saucer and many more. He also co-founded Grant Avenue Studio and was given a thank you credit in U2's classic 1987 album, The Joshua Tree.

Media Links

Social Media Reaction

Famous Framus

I was lucky enough to spend a short time in the orbit of Bob Lanois about 15 years ago and his charismatic presence and ferocious belief in truth, as the root and foundation of art and performance left a full body tattoo on my soul! He took me aside and told me what’s what. “Play it straight!” I knew exactly what he meant. Tell the Truth! Love.

Lou Molinaro (Tongue Fu)

My Mother passed away in 2006.  Couple of weeks after my Mom's funeral, I ran into Bob at a show at the Corktown Tavern.  Bob gave me a big hug and passed on his condolences.   He mentioned to me that a child's love for his or her Mother is the most unique love in the world.  While sharing this,  Bob said to me -  "Lou, I will always be a Momma's Boy"  Every time I saw Bob, I remembered that moment. 

It was always wonderful seeing Bob @ This Ain't Hollywood to see shows.  Such a friendly, unique happy soul.  Sending my condolences to his family workmates and closest friends.  Goodbye Bob.

Dave Gilbey

Bob Lanois and Glen Marshall welcomed me and Tim O'Reilly into their space with open arms. My favourite part of the many shoots we did at the Mule Spinner was the chance to talk with Bob. He gave me encouragement when I needed it and told me I should tell people to screw off if they were unsure of my motives. He gave me advice in a world that was not mine. 

William Schwendiman 

Throughout my "career" booking live music, I've taken a lot of pride in working with the seminal builders of our Hamilton Music community. 

When Bob approached me to host the release party for his solo album, "Snake Road", I was honored he'd ask.

His words, "Brodie you book all the underground stuff. That's where I want my record to live".

Rest in Peace to Bob Lanois. Condolences to all that love him.

Links: Daniel LanoisMore Daniel Lanois StoriesVideo above courtesy of bravofact

Links: Lee Harvey Osmond aka Tom Wilson, More Lee Harvey Osmond StoriesVideo above courtesy Tom Wilson & Bob Lanois - Topic

Links: Bob Lanois, More Bob Lanois StoriesVideo above courtesy of The roman Sokal


Previous (Harmonica Day Videos) - - - Next (Earth Day Videos)

No comments:

Post a Comment