Friday, July 28, 2023

Blues Booster and Radio Host Patrick Monaghan Passes


It is with sadness that we announce the passing of one of the region's biggest Blues champions, Patrick Monaghan. He passed away in his sleep on Tuesday, July 25, 2023. Our condolences to his family, friends and fans.

Patrick hosted the award-winning program, Buckslide Blues Cruise on 100.9 Canoe FM. His tireless efforts helped promote many new artists. In 2022, Patrick was named Blues Booster of the year at the Maple Blues Awards.

Click here for the Broadcast Dialogue story on his passing

Social Media Reaction

Grand River Blues Society

If you knew Patrick, you experienced his huge smile and saw his thumbs up photos and if fortunate you were in the photo with him, both of you giving the big thumbs up. You had to admire his dedication, opinions about, knowledge of and rarely duplicated commitment to The Blues. Patrick loved experiencing and supporting the live music scene. If he couldn't find anyone to travel with to share in his numerous trips he just headed out himself like a gypsy. 

He joined the Grand River Blues Society at the beginning 20 years ago and kept his membership active each year. He volunteered so many times to Judge the GRBS Road to Memphis Competitions and then travelled to Memphis to support the representing acts. He was one of a kind. Patrick was one of the kindest, nicest person you'd ever have the privilege to know. This truly is a sad moment for our tight knit Blues community. Rest in Peace our Blues Brother.

Gary Kendall (Downchild

Sad news today to hear of the passing of our good friend and tireless supporter, Patrick Monaghan.  In February 2020 he told me that he was terminal, only had a few months left and he was going to continue living life.  Cancer was not going to stop him.  Well he did just that.  His Buckslide Blues radio show continued to showcase artists new and well established.  Pat did his best to make every blues show and special event that fell into his radar.  There must be thousands of his signature thumbs up photos circulating the world.  He and I made a pact that we would have our picture taken together at The Southside Shuffle every year.  We pulled it off in 2021 and 2022 falling just a little short in 2023 as he moves on to the other side.   My heart goes out to his family and friends with a special thank you to Christine who helped him get to the shows he just couldn't miss.  Goodbye my friend, thumbs up.

Smoke Wagon Blues Band

The past weeks have been really hard for the Blues and the music community and it's very difficult to yet again find the words today. The Blues world has lost a son today. We will miss that infectious smile! We will miss that big thumbs up! We will miss your voice! We will miss The Canadian Blues Energizer Bunny! We all love you Patrick 

He was a huge supporter of the band, so much so that before he got sick he was planning on being our official manager. The Smoke Wagon Blues Band and I can not convey how much we appreciated your support and friendship over the years Pat. Outside of the band I've lost a great friend, I visited him on buckslide road, and met up with him around the province year round just to enjoy shows and hang. I will miss my Tuesday nights with Canoe FM but I will miss our weekly conversations on the phone the most of all. Its very difficult to imagine the Canadian Blues scene without you, you were an inspiration of tenacity and energy to us all, a lesson on how to live and fight for your dreams.

It was his bucket list to put on the first ever Haliburton Blues Festival this summer and it breaks my heart to know we won't be celebrating it together. Thank you Patrick for everything. Onward through the fog 

Jim Dan Dee

Dear Patrick Monaghan,
I am so very sad to hear of your passing today, and so grateful to have known you.
I will miss your late night phone calls, stories of Blues legends in smokey clubs and boxing matches. You almost died too many times but then were right back out there at the clubs and festivals; I haven't ever seen someone fight as hard as you and your fuel was gratitude and the Blues. What a life you've lived.
Never will there be a more tremendous supporter of live music, nor a more charismatic smile and the trademark "thumbs up" in EVERY pic. You painted a picture of positivity in the toughest of situations.
I will miss your raspy voice, and your support and encouragement so much. You were the man behind so many meetings with Blues legends and festival coordinators, and believed in me from day one.
I really wish that I picked up the phone one last time... my first thought was to call you when I got the news. You've got one last concert in you, I know it.
You're a true beauty, I'm glad you aren't struggling anymore. My deepest sympathies to Christine without whom you couldn't have continued to attend every damn concert regardless of your health state. All my love and support to Pat's close friends and family.
I'm sure the concerts are even better up there where you are, as are the photo ops. Sending a big thumbs up to my man, Patrick "Madman" Monaghan. Enjoy the big gig in the sky my friend.
Below is a 2020 video by Craig Mumford honouring Patrick



Previous (Moonshine Cafe Owner John Marlatt Passes) - - - Next (May, June & July Episodes of 'Sold on Hamilton')

No comments:

Post a Comment