Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Moonshine Cafe Owner & Musician John Marlatt Passes


It is with sadness that we announce the passing of Moonshine Cafe owner and local musician, John Marlatt. He passed away in the early hours of July 24, 2023. Our condolences to his family, friends and fans.

Social Media Reaction

His wife Jane posted this statement on the Moonshine Cafe Facebook page:
As some of you know by now, we lost our fearless leader in the wee hours this morning. My beloved husband, John Marlatt, passed away during an emergency surgery to remove a large aneurism found in his stomach. 
He suffered a variety of ailments over the past two months leaving him quite weak and extremely tired. 
John was a larger than life character with an extremely quick wit that kept our Moonshine patrons constantly entertained. 
I want to thank all of you for reaching out to me with your kind words and love.  I am overwhelmed with pride with how respected and loved my Johnny was. 
He will be missed dearly and daily by everyone who knew him.  The Moonshine will never be the same without our Johnny Boy.

Kevin Breit

John Marlatt and his Moonshine Cafe was a musician's best friend. So many artists passed through those doors on Kerr Street in Oakville. John and his beautiful Jane, made the atmosphere as close to a home feel as anyone could. Between sets, there was a mixed playlist of mostly independent, Canadian performers. We (Sisters Euclid) are filled with gratitude to John, not only for the support over the years but he kindly released a live recording from the Moonshine Cafe for his Moonshine Record Label. What a good, solid person. The best friend we ever had. We love you John!!!!

Dan Walsh

This is a tough one :( I met John Marlatt way back in either 2005 or 06. The Moonshine Cafe was newish. And that man had a passion for singer/writers. I was on the road hard in those days. I had just left a band and was touring as a sideman for a number of singer/writers. And John was one of the first to step up with a booking. I liked him in the 1st minute of our meeting. Over the years his venue was always open to whatever I was doing. He was one of the 1st to book me solo when I headed out on my own. And, he was instrumental in helping me with booking even bigger gigs (he knew festival people) but the one thing that will stick with me forever, is one time at a show he gave me a cool old Garnet amp. Like super cool. He claims "it was always in his way" but I knew the deal. He wanted me to have it. He was a fan of slide guitar and that amp had mojo. 

If the planet had 100 John Marlatts, the music biz would be not only alive and well, it would be a dreamland. 

RIP John. You'll be sorely missed by musicians far and wide.  

Vanessa Marie Carter 

John Marlatt 🕊️🤍. I don’t even have the words for how much you’ll be missed. You did so much for me over the years. You gave me a little stage to find my legs on, in the safest place. I was so looking forward to seeing you at Christmas and playing our holiday show. I hope you know how many lives you touched, and that you’ll never be forgotten. Rest easy sweet friend.

Video above courtesy of  Chloe Shackelton

Links: John MarlattMore John Marlatt StoriesVideo above courtesy of The Moonshine Cafe


Previous (Mark LaForme Passes) - - - Next (Blues Booster Patrick Monaghan Passes)

No comments:

Post a Comment