Friday, September 1, 2017

Lighthouse Founder Skip Prokop Passes


It is our sad to duty to announce the passing of one of Hamilton's biggest rock legends.  Lighthouse drummer (and founder) Skip Prokop passed away  recently due to heart issues. Our condolences to his family, friends and fans.

The Hamilton-born drummer's illustrious career included a stint in the band the Paupers and Mike Bloomfield, writing for Three Dog Night, being a radio host, platinum-selling records with Lighthouse as well as playing the legendary Monterey Pop and Isle of Wight festivals.

Click here for visitation/funeral information

Click here for the Spectator story.

Click here for the CHCH video story.

Here are a few comments from social media:

Mark Logan (Busted Flat Records)
I only had the chance to meet Skip Prokop once. I was working with Matt Andersen at a festival in Burlington and Lighthouse was headlining. I was hanging around backstage when Skip arrived, looked around for a bit and then smiled and came over. Initially I thought he mistook me for someone else, but we chatted briefly and it became apparent that he chose me to chat with as I was the only other 'longhair' there. He was extremely nice and didn't mind answering a bunch of fanboy type questions. Their show that night was outstanding ! I since had the good fortune to transcribe a bit of audio that was being used to put together his autobiography. What stories ! It was all about his pre-Lighthouse band the Paupers and them travelling to the US and working with Albert Grossman and playing Monterey. I look forward to reading the rest of the book when it's finished. Skip was the real deal !! R.I.P.
The Paupers were one of the greatest Canadian bands ever. Their 'Magic People' album is truly timeless. Among their many innovations, when the bass player and lead guitarist would periodically play drum sets along with drummer Skip Prokop, it constituted a stunning musical and visual outburst. Skip went on to form the more well known 'big band', Lighthouse. I am truly saddened to hear of his passing today.
Derek Downham
My career as a drummer who sings owes a lot to Skip Prokop, a true trailblazer of the craft. Thank you for the inspiration, conviction, and deep hustling and fearless beats. R.I.P. 


Previous (Cool New Website - Hamilton: City of Music) - - - Next (News Roundup: Shipley Hollow, Ron Sexsmith, CHCH Videos, Captain Canuck)

No comments:

Post a Comment