Sunday, May 31, 2020

Niagara's Lily Nazar Passes


It is with sadness that we announce the passing of Niagara musician Lily Nazar. Our condolences to her family, friends and fans. She passed away on Wednesday, May 27, 2020.

Click here for her memorial page.

Her bio from the Lily Nazar Trio Facebook page:
Lily Nazar was born in St. Catharines and currently resides in Niagara-on-the-Lake. She has been singing and teaching music in the region for approximately fifteen years. She has performed with a number of local groups over the years as well as the The Lily Nazar Band. Although her musical interests span from pop to classical she made the decision to concentrate on one of her major loves, that of jazz, and graduated from the Mohawk College jazz program in 2007, specializing in vocal jazz and composition. Lily is quickly establishing herself as an up and coming jazz singer in the region and her group The Lily Nazar Jazz Trio frequently play at the Old Winery Restaurant in Niagara-on-the-Lake as well as at many private functions.
There was an outpouring of grief on social media. Here are a few examples:

Iolanda Ingrassia McKendrick

I lost my little Lily yesterday. A loving and heart full soul with the voice of an angel and a smile that could light up any room. She had her struggles and she tried so hard. So hard to be the perfect daughter, perfect singer, perfect friend and to find her perfect place in life. But her perfect little heart just couldn’t take it anymore. And I am shattered . The sadness and pain cuts like a knife I feel so much pain for my family. I wish I couldn’t say I know how they feel, but I do. I really do.

Lily finally found her angel wings and hopefully has found the peace she’s always been looking for. She would have turned 38 tomorrow. Still so much life ahead of her ... it just isn’t fair.
I will miss our chats and our texts messages. I will miss your zest for life, your crazy ideas, your smile and your voice Say hi to all our people up there and please continue to sing

Jennifer Gulland
My heart hurts and I am overwhelmed with sadness. The times that our paths crossed were magical and as my gemini twin we were two peas in a party pod. Wild and crazy and passionate and loud. Together we laughed and were merry. I will miss the bond we shared through music. Her talent was second to none. Her voice was surely something to be admired. 
Joshua Wood
RIP Lily Nazar. You sweet, wild, untameable soul on fire. You are the one who showed me how to lose myself to the song, to let go of the wheel and celebrate the moment. You were always such an inspiration to me and I just really wish I got to tell you this. I love you Lily, Ill see ya on the big stage. 
Talal Al Hamad
A beautiful soul .. taken from this earth suddenly.. An incredibly talented jazz singer and pianist and one of the original members of the first lineup of The Hot Potatoes my band... We shared some beautiful moments and I'm so proud to have had you has a friend.. You recently overcame some major challenges.. You grew... I;m sorry I could not have been there for you more ... 
Ian Reid covered on of Lily's songs in her memory.




Links: Ian ReidMore Ian Reid StoriesVideo above courtesy of Ian Reid







Links: Lily NazarMore Lily Nazar Stories, Videos above courtesy of Lily Nazar

Previous (Peggy Lee's 100th Birthday) - - - Next (Dundas Music Club Videos)

No comments:

Post a Comment